Makeup is supposed to bring out the beauty in your face. But sometimes, it can cause fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes and lips, which can be challenging to remove.
This article discusses why creasing happens and some essential tips to make your next makeup application crease-free.
What Are Makeup Creases?
Makeup creases are wrinkles that appear on the face after makeup. They generally emerge after about an hour of applying foundation and can grow with time.
Reason for Makeup Creases
Makeup creases form when the foundation is deposited in the pores in your skin created by wrinkles. And the biggest reason for wrinkles is aging.
As we grow old, our skin’s elastin and collagen fibers thin, reducing the skin’s elasticity. This dries out the skin and makes the tissues fold and tear.
On the other hand, not using the right makeup products and lack of proper skin care can also be attributed to creasing.
How to Stop Foundation Creasing
Before starting with this part, we remind you that wrinkled skin is a sign of life. It’s a natural process and beautiful, as long as you have a positive perception of it. So, instead of stressing about the creases, you’ll need to learn to cherish them in the long run.
Anyway, for now, here are some great tips to help you prevent your foundation from settling into fine lines.
Always clean your face and moisturize it adequately before makeup starts. Otherwise, the foundation will accumulate on the dirt and oil, resulting in more creases.
- Start by washing your face with a gentle cleanser and warm water. The idea here is to remove every dirt and grease on the surface, so rinse thoroughly.
- After that, apply a moisturizer on your entire face, focusing on the places where the fine lines mostly appear.
- It is also a great idea to apply hydrating primer after using a moisturizer. Hydrating primer fills the pores with extra moisture and smoothens the skin to create a good base for the makeup.
- Finally, dab your face with a translucent setting powder to absorb any remaining grease and oil.
Use A Light Coverage Foundation
Light coverage foundations create a thinner layer of coverage on your skin. They offer a natural finish and aren’t very heavy on the skin.
With the thin layer, a lot of foundation won’t be able to settle on the wrinkles, which means the fine lines will be smaller and less noticeable. At the same time, lightweight foundations are also found to minimize the greasy blockages in the face that create the creasing.
Use Products With Matte Finish
Also known as photo-finish, matte-finished products dry without forming as many creases as the other finishes. Also, they are oil-free and less shiny, meaning wrinkles will stand out less.
On the other hand, dewy foundations hold a lot of moisture, making them more prone to breaks. In addition, they create more smile lines as they are greasy.
As we are talking about the finish here, remember that you should only use a moisturizer that matches your skin tone.
Put Your Makeup in The Right Way
Excess makeup can crack easily. Here are some tips for applying foundation while avoiding makeup crease.
- Only put a light coverage of the foundation. Use a blending sponge or foundation brush instead of a regular makeup brush for a thinner foundation layer.
- Apply less foundation in the places where you have detected smile lines.
- Use liquid concealer rather than powder concealer since it blends better with the skin. Also, only apply one layer of concealer to prevent buildups.
- Set your makeup with a setting powder. In this case, avoid setting spray because it creates more moisture, making your fine lines more visible.
How to Choose A Setting Powder?
Look for a finely loosed translucent powder that has a thinner texture. Avoid thick pressed powder that goes heavy on the skin.
If you want to use a setting spray, buy an alcohol one as alcohol dries faster than water. But don’t overuse it since it can cause skin irritations.
Exfoliate Your Skin Regularly
Exfoliation is the removal of dead skin cells from the face. It makes the coast clear on your skin for the newer cells, allowing them to form smoothly with fewer wrinkles.
Experts recommend people with mature and oily skin exfoliate about two to three times a week. On the other hand, those with dry skin should only exfoliate once a week as chemicals can easily damage their skin.
Always tune down the frequency if you notice irritation.
Eat Proper Diet
With a proper diet, you can maintain the amount of collagen in your skin, slowing down aging. For skin health, focus mostly on Vitamin C. Research shows that Vitamin C can increase collagen and protect against UVA and UVB Rays of the Sun.
Also, make sure you are well over the daily recommended values of Protein, Vitamin A, Vitamin B Complex, Zinc, and Essential Fatty Acids.
Other Ways to Minimize Smile Lines
You can’t escape aging, but you can delay it. With a proper skin care schedule, you will have less flaky skin, which reduces wrinkles.
Here are some basic skin care procedures which can help stop foundation creasing.
- Wash your face regularly but not too often since tap water washes away the natural oil protecting your skin against wrinkles.
- Always wear a Sunscreen cream before going outdoors.
- Constant expression changes can create wrinkles. Consider getting glasses if you squint while reading or looking at things far away.
- Quit smoking if you are noticing fine lines. Nicotine narrows blood vessels, eventually reducing proper oxygen and nutrient flows in the face cells, causing them to wear down and break.
There are three points to remember to stop makeup creasing: buy the right product, avoid using excess makeup, and take good care of your skin.
At the same time, you will need to remember that laugh lines are normal and aren’t worth stressing about. Even if you may not be able to avoid them completely, you are still beautiful, and a few wrinkles should never ruin your self-esteem.