A beauty blender is an egg-shaped sponge with a small tip used to apply foundation. It gives the complexion a more natural finish than other makeup sponges when used correctly.
This sponge got its name from an actual commercial product called Beauty Blender, which has been the go-to tool for makeup artists for some years.
The trademarked Beauty Blender is made of foam. It is a bright pink color, very dense in texture, and has a pointed edge for applying makeup under the eyes. There are also many knock-off sponges with a similar egg shape and pointy end.
In this beauty guide, you will learn how to use a beauty blender to apply streak-free makeup and apply cream contour and concealer.
Preparing The Beauty Blender for Wet Use
You could use the beauty blender as a dry sponge if you had to, but it is not recommended if you want to blend concealer and highlighter evenly into your face makeup.
This type of sponge simply works best moist. If you are reapplying makeup while traveling, you can wet it with bottled spring water.
The best way to use a beauty blender is to dampen it first. Soak the sponge by placing it under cold running water. You could use warm water, but cold water will help to shrink your skin’s pores for a smoother look to your complexion.
Squeeze the sponge dry to wring the excess water out. The sponge should be damp but not soaking wet after you wring it out.
Using the Blender to Apply Different Makeup Products
You can use the beauty blender sponge to apply several beauty products, including primer, foundation, concealer, blush, highlighter, and setting powder.
Apply the product to the beauty blender, considering the following points.
- When applying foundation, BB cream, tinted moisturizer, or concealer, put a blob of the product on the back of your hand and dip the fat round end of the sponge into it.
- For products in a compact, such as foundation, cream blush, bronzer, or highlighter, the sponge can be dipped directly into a clamshell pan.
- To apply loose powder, sprinkle it onto the product’s lid and dip the sponge into it; give it a quick flick to remove excess product before applying.
- To apply makeup such as concealer, blush, or highlighter, use the pointed end of the sponge.
- To apply foundation or tinted moisturizer all over the face, dab the rounded end of the blender into the product.
- If the product is liquid foundation or blush, put it on the back of your hand and dab the sponge into the makeup.
- Use the pointed end of the to apply concealer or foundation under the eyes, around the nose, and along the skin of the lip line.
- Use the round end of the beauty bouncer in a stippling motion to sponge the makeup all over your skin and gently blend it with other products to achieve a flawless finish.
Using The Bounce Technique to Apply Foundation
Once you have the foundation on the end of your sponge, place the round bottom into the product and then apply it with light bouncing movement across your face and neck.
Keep repeating these light bounces of the sponge over your skin and blending until you have complete even coverage.
Contour and Highlight With The Beauty Blenders
You can use both the narrow tip and the round bottom of the beauty sponge to apply blush and highlighter to the cheeks and temples.
The pointed end is used to gently dab concealer along the lash line. Remember to be buoyant with moves, gently pressing the beauty blender into the skin to create a flawless effect.
Once your makeup is applied as you wish, apply a light layer of setting powder, wait a few minutes, and then use a facial mist to set the makeup.
Care and Cleaning of Beauty Sponges
As is true of all beauty sponges, blenders are prone to bacterial contamination, which gives them a short shelf life.
It is imperative that you wash the blender sponge with antibacterial, scent-free dishwashing soap or antibacterial hand soap. You can also use gentle baby shampoo to clean your sponge daily.
The company Beauty Blend also makes a specific soap meant to wash sponges under their brand name.
Once the makeup sponge is rinsed clean of all makeup and soap, you should then let it air dry completely. Make the drying out of your sponge part of your regular makeup routine.
Never store a damp sponge in a bag as it can be a breeding ground for bacteria. Store the dried-out makeup sponge in an airtight makeup bag.
Beauty Blender Tips and Tricks
Here are some tips for using a beauty blender correctly.
- Handle a beauty blender gently when it’s wet as it rips easily.
- Keep a bottle spray bottle of water nearby to wet your sponge again if it gets dry during your makeup application.
- Don’t press the sponge hard against your skin. Let the beauty blender gently bounce to apply the makeup.
- Avoid using a wiping motion to apply makeup, as the effect will be blotchy.
- You can also use a beauty blender to apply self-tanner but be aware it might stain the sponge.
- The pointed end of the beauty blender can also be used to apply eye shadow.
You do not necessarily have to buy the name brand Beauty Blender, as there are many similar makeup sponges on the market.
As long as it is egg-shaped, tapering into a conical tip, and has a dense texture, the cheaper knock-off version of the sponge should work fine for your beauty routine.
Beauty blenders are so versatile that they can replace almost all of the makeup tools that you might have in your makeup bag. The key thing to remember is to always dry it out completely to keep it bacteria-free.